Tuesday, June 30, 2009

21 weeks and 12 months old

Yesterday was a day filled with dr's appointments. Well, 2, but it felt like I was running around! T had her 12 month check up in which she endured 4 vaccines and a finger prick to check hemoglobin. She had to be held down by myself and the nurse while her ped. shot her in the legs. It was horribly heartbreaking to hold her there while she had to be stuck over and over. TYpically after one of these check ups I feed her. Lately, now that she has transitioned to whole milk in a sippy cup- she doesn't find milk as comfort and would much rather eat solid foods. Thankfully I had brought her little snack box full of cut up pieces of whole wheat bread. This did the trick.

The pediatrician and I talked for a long time. She answered many of my questions about diet- baby food vs. real food, how many ounces of whole milk T should drink per day, shoe recommendations, dry skin, etc. It seems that now that T is 12 months, she is to be eating real food as much as possible. It is fine to still give her baby food if I am in a rush or am eating something not healthy but that over all T should eat exactly what I eat. My problem is that I don't always eat vegetables with every meal (yes, I know I should) so this is going to cause me to start which is something I should be doing anyway! Also, we are to be trying to get between 8-16 ounces of whole milk into her (along with another dairy serving like cheese or yogurt) and water throughout the rest of the day. T doesn't seem to want to drink anything at all lately. She is much happier eating solid foods. I have been "sneaking" milk into foods to try and get it in her (mixing into yogurt etc.).

I also had a dr appointment yesterday. I had the infamous 20 week ultrasound and my due date is officially 11/9. Since T came 9 days early I am counting on end of October instead or at least I will be prepared to go at any time during those dates. My OB keeps reminding me that the baby will come when he/ she wants to and it could be earlier or later.

All looked good on the ultrasound. We haven't had any tests done (nuchal translucency) so this was our chance to make sure that all looked good. The dr said it looked like the baby was healthy. We didn't find out the gender again with this one. My weight gain seems good- 12 pounds at this point (although its more like 15-20 if you count my lowest since T has been born) so I am going to try and not gain too much more. I would love to gain less than 30. I have been working out with my new Wii Active and jogging and walking way more with this pregnancy than with T but I still am allowing myself to eat way more than I should. I wish I could get a handle on that but as long as I am healthy- I am not concerned.

We leave for the beach Saturday (the 4th). I am looking forward to it. FJ's entire family will be there. 10 adults and 3 kids (including us). My parents will also be there so it should be crazy but fun. FJ and I plan on taking advantage of the babysitters (grandparents) and go see a movie or hang out on the boardwalk.

Happy 4th everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY for a great DR visit for you! Poor T and her shots. I am SO not looking forward to that with Lemy. UGH.

Have a happy 4th! :)

AwkwardMoments said...

i hate shots! Sounds like all is doing pretty good. A trick with the milk - try and add some carnation breakfast in the milk. Strawberry or vanilla flavoring Heck or chocolate. I never had to do it because MT is a huge fan of milk.

Congrats on great pregnancy news - Have fun at the beach