Getting ready for the holidays around here! The tree is up complete with ornaments that are only on branches 3 feet off the ground and above. The stockings are hung on the stair's banister so that T can't pull the stocking holders off the mantle. Things are different this year with an 18 month old but boy are they fun! T can recognize Santa and a snowman. She has started talking more this season saying words like tree, santa, glove to add to her already quite vast vocabulary. I feel like this season has really pushed her development along and will be curious to see if R at 18 months is the same. It seems the holidays have been so thrilling for T that she is really soaking it all up!
We debated gift giving for the girls this year. Last year we saved our money since T at 6 months really had no idea and truthfully at 18 months she doesn't either. Certainly R doesn't have a clue but we went ahead and started the whole Santa tradition. T will get a little kitchen and R will get a tummy time mat among other small gifts like books, dolls, rattles, etc. I do not want my girls to be spoiled. I feel that they already have way too much and will likely get more from relatives than we are comfortable with so a few gifts from us/ Santa will be all they get.
We have decided to start some new traditions of our own this year.
1. We are going to read the Christmas story out of the bible Christmas morning before opening gifts. I got this idea from a blog (forgive me for forgetting exactly which one!) and I love that it is a reminder that "Jesus is the reason for the season!"
2. FJ and I are going to make cornish hens for Christmas dinner. I typically have turkey and he usually has ham. I don't like ham and we both decided that its too close to Thanksgiving for turkey. We'll see how it goes!
3. T and R will wear dresses made by FJ's mom on Christmas day only. She makes the cutest dresses but I really wanted to pick their dresses this year and was feeling bad about trumping her handmade cuties. We decided that it will be okay to have dresses for mass/ pictures/ parties and save the precious handmade dresses for Christmas Day.
Aside from all of the holiday hubbub I am enjoying maternity leave immensely. I keep both T and R home with me most days and they do pretty well. T is getting her 13th and 14th tooth (that's a lot isn't it?) now and that is causing some cranky issues and R is working to establish good sleeping habits but honestly its all good. I just wish we had enough money where I could stay home forever with them! At the same time I am already thinking about preschool options for T and I wouldn't really be home with her for much longer anyhow! Can't believe how time has flown!
Well- gotta go for now- R is crying and T is playing with the decorations. Ahhh- such is the life...
Merry Christmas everyone!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
It sounds like things are going beautifully! Merry Christmas to you and you're beautiful family! ((hugs))
Sounds wonderful! Merry Christmas!!!!
Post a Comment