Friday, April 18, 2008

week #30

Here I am at 30 weeks! I can't believe it- I will have a baby in 10 weeks or less. My OB has promised not to let me go past 40 unless it is absolutely necessary since he realizes how anxious I am and will certainly be. I had a small "scare" this week. Wed. night I went to bed not remembering the last time I felt him/her. I didn't sleep well trying to analyze every tingle, ache, and muscle spasm. When I "woke up" I was in a foul mood and told FJ that I was calling the dr. He recommended that I drink a coke when I got to school and see if that gets him/her moving. All the while FJ reassured me that nothing was wrong (he is the most optimistic man I have every known!- especially with all that we have been through!). I got to school, drank my coke, and waited. In the meantime I asked a few mommies if it was normal to go through these spurts of feeling less movement. They all said yes so I relaxed a little. Finally the caffeine kicked in and a-moving did he/she do! It was such a glorious feeling. For the rest of the day I thanked God and him/her each time she gave me a good swift one and practically jumped for joy when I could see him/her squirming under my skin. Today has been a frequent movement day too. I did a lot on Wed. so I wonder if he/she was just tired with me??? It doesn't matter anymore- all is well.

I did call the OB on Monday because of my swollen ankles. The receptionist recommended that I elevate my feet, force fluids, and limit sodium. Will do! I have felt much better since limiting sodium (I don't think its possible to force any more fluids!). As soon as I started watching my sodium intake I started peeing like crazy! Monday and Tuesday night I think I peed AT LEAST 7 times each night. Crazy! I guess my body had retained lots of sodium and when I relaxed at night my body relieved itself! Its funny because while its not "fun" to get up in the middle of the night to pee- its also not as bad as I thought it would be. I guess this is my body's way of preparing for feedings.

We went to our Labor Basics class Tuesday night. It was interesting. The practioner was a bit on the negative side but told it like it is with all the gory details. She was one of those people who toots her own horn (or her kid's) whenever she gets a chance (she must've mentioned 4 times that her daughter scored a 10 on the Apgar test). Whatever. Anyway, we opted to stay for the optional birthing video at the end and I am glad we did. FJ says its not as "gross" as he expected and I agreed. Its more exciting than anything! The class, if anything, made this whole situation seem so real. It has taken me years to get pregnant, another year to have a viable pregnancy, and now 30 weeks to carry this child. I have researched and read up on everything fertility, miscarriage, and now pregnancy. I have not done ANY research on delivery so it was like, "wow". I can't really describe the feeling. I am not scared or anything (except for someone to pinch me at this point and wake me from this euphoria) but I had skipped the delivery part in my mind. Get pregnant- have baby- and live happily every after. We will go back next week for Labor Basics part 2 which talks about Cesarean delivery.

I do have a dr's appt this week and my bff is due any day now. Should be an exciting week!

6 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

I am so glad that you are in good spirits. i had a talk with myself on my way home today - I WILL NOT be a sourpuss NO MORE! I have gone 28 weeks of euphoric behavior and I will not allow one week to jack me up! Thanks for your comments. YAH 30 weeks - can you EVEN beleive it. We do childbirth classes starting may 10th!

I'm so glad that you felt the lil baby groovin in there

Amanda said...

HAPPY 30 WEEKS!!!

RBandRC said...

YAY for 30 weeks! I often go through spurts of lots of movement for a couple of days, then she is quiet for a day or so, then active again. It drives me CRAZY! :)

Glad that all is well! 10 more week--SO EXCITING!

Anonymous said...

You are almost there!

Courtney said...

Congratulations on 30 weeks!!! Those 'quiet' times when the little one isn't moving around are quite unsettling, but I'm so glad you were able to get the baby in motion. :) Can't wait to hear about your latest doctor's appointment!

tryingin2007 said...

30 weeks!!! woohoo! :)

the movement thing (or lack of) really scares me as well. Always something!