Sunday, December 2, 2007

Oh Christmas Tree

Today is Dec. 2- 13 school days left until the holiday break!!! FJ and I have decided to make a trip to NYC for a few days before Christmas and then go to Northern Virginia to see our families. We bought our tree today- we have a tradition to get it at Lowe's and also to pick the first one we see. Somehow it all works out for us and this year's tree is no exception! The puppies were uber confused at why we were bringing in a tree- but they have gotten used to it I think. It will be interesting to see how they react once it has ornaments and is lit!

I have a really good friend at work who has been going through IF for years. Her story is unique... She was diagnosed with ovarian cancer 4 years ago and had most of her girly parts removed. In fact, she only has 1/8 of an ovary. So when she turned up pregnant in 2006, I knew that she had to have some help. In becoming closer to her and confiding in her about my situation, I learned that she had received a donor egg and that's the help she needed to start her family. To make a long story short, she had a very healthy pregnancy with a very active baby girl. On December 24 of last year she went into labor. After hours and hours of way too stressful labor she had a c-section and little baby Maddie had the cord wrapped 3 times around her neck.(Serious malpractice lawsuit.) She survived but will be vegetable for the rest of her life. It just didn't/ doesn't seem to be fair. She paid $40,000 out of pocket for a donor egg (none else were fertilized so none frozen for later) and then this. Her baby will be a year this month and is not doing well. The reason I am telling this story now is my friend stopped me at school yesterday to see how I was feeling. (She is one of the few people at work who know I am pregnant.) She also shared with me that she is 5 and a half weeks pregnant also!!! I am thrilled for her. Not only that- but her hcg numbers are so high (1900 at 9dpt and 4600 at 12dpt) that I am sure she is having twins!!! Anyway, I know that her future baby/ies will never replace Maddie but I am happy that they will get to have even more joy in their lives.

On another note, have any of you had or are you planning to have the early detection screening for downs' syndrome? Our dr recommends us having it and I am just not sure about what it entails? Just wondering... Also, anyone else taking progesterone supplements noticing a strong odor when they urinate? I know that's gross but mine is driving me crazy! I can't wait until 14 weeks when I can stop sticking things up my you know what. :)

4 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

I have an U/S on the 14th for my nuchal fold test. As for smells, I think your smeller could just be workin overtime (like mine). I scrubed the entire bathroom today because all i smelled was pee when i walked in. wishing your friend good luck

Courtney said...

It is great that you have such a close friend at work(and that you can share being pg)!

I can't really respond to the screening question, because we are so far from that at this point. My pee does seem to smell stronger/different at times and I am doing the progesterone injections.

Anonymous said...

OMG what a SAD story about your friend. :-(

RBandRC said...

We are planning on doing testing because G really wants to. I'm willing to test for things that are not invasive. Anything that puts the baby at risk is out of the question. Please send your friend my best! HUGS!