Thank you ALL for the congratulations. T continues to be a blessing. She slept well last night and I only had to feed her at midnight, 3:00, and then at 7:00. Usually (in the few days we've known each other) she doesn't go back to sleep after the 3 a.m. feeding and we stay up until 7:00 but today she was so good!
.
Yesterday my lactation consultant called from the hospital to check on me and T and I told her that breastfeeding was going really well. I also told her that I continue to use a nipple guard to protect my precious nips and she told me I needed to begin weaning T off the shield. She said that my milk supply could actually stop coming in if I didn't. This surprises me because T eats SO WELL with the guard and we've had an abundance of poopy and urine filled diapers to prove it. My breasts did feel engorged yesterday but after she fed they felt better which tells me my breasts are getting plenty of stimulation. But- I listened to her because I want what's best for my baby. So yesterday I read up on techniques that make feeding less painful and tried it for a while. All went slowly yesterday and I switched back to the guard since I just couldn't get her to latch correctly. Today it was more of the same and I finally had a breakdown with it a few hours ago. I was so proud of myself and T for being able to breastfeed and now I feel like we are at square one. I am going to call the lactation consultant tomorrow and see what advice can be given but I feel so frustrated. Everything was working great until I started to wean her. I would like someone to look into the future and tell me that my milk won't stop coming in if I continue to use the guard OR tell me that it would stop hurting if I gave the guardless feed a chance. My breasts are so large that it is hard for T's little mouth to get to where it needs to be so she is sucking on the end of my nipple which kills and is now cracked and chafed.
On another note we have received lots and lots of pink little clothes in the past few days. We also have plenty of yellow and green since we didn't find out T's gender before birth but now we also have tons of pink and I am thinking the yellow may never be worn. What a shame. We also received our 3rd piggy bank today. This kid would be a millionaire if only the piggy produced money on its own! Anyway, we love her to death and couldn't be happier (unless of course the feeding thing would work itself out!). Thanks for reading. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
SHe is just so yummy! I do hope that the breast feeding works itself out for you. I know how many emotions are tied to the "needing to provide and do the best". I know the consultant will be there to help guide you. You be kind to yourself. Ok!
Hang in there! I know that you will figure out what will work best for you and for Teagan. Have you thought of talking to another consultant?
Thinking of you! HUGS! :)
Post a Comment