Saturday, June 28, 2008

Due date

I woke up yesterday feeling very motivated that I could take things by the horns and get out of the house. Today is the first day I am allowed to use stairs and drive but yesterday seemed a good day as any to start making some plans so I don't get cabin fever. After calling our local por.trait inn.ovations to schedule her newborn photo shoot I also called a lactation consultant. I really wasn't going to but figured- what the heck, we'll see what they have to say. So I went and it was fantastic. For those of you who are soon to be moms- this service is well worth the $40 they charged. She gave me a completely different perspective on how to breastfeed and it actually worked. I am to call her Monday and tell her how we are and I do have some questions (Rome wasn't built in a day you know!) but so far so good and I am so much happier as a result.

My parents have been here since my water broke to "help out". They are fantastic but I think FJ and I are ready to give this parenting a go without them. Yesterday, however, mom mentioned that they weren't leaving until July 7. I understand why- they are going to the beach next week to pick up my grandmother and bring her back and then they don't want to travel too close to the 4th of July holiday. It'll be fine but I thought FJ would die when she mentioned it. The thing is we set some ground rules before they got here saying a week is enough and that FJ's mom would be coming week #2. For whatever reason FJ's mom isn't coming week 2 so I think my mom feels as if they need to stay. Its easier to grin and bear it than hurt their feelings because they have been helpful. We haven't had to lift a finger since they've been here so who's complaining?

T continues to be perfect. Yesterday at the lactation con. she was weighed and she is 2 ounces shy of her birth weight. I am so proud of her! I am also proud of myself for feeding her enough to be gaining weight. I am going to take her on some errands today and we have been taking her and her fur siblings for walks the past few days. It is so nice to be able to walk more comfortably than when I was pregnant. I am thankful that my body is quickly returning to its early pregnancy state (I don't want to say pre-pregnancy yet- that would be pushing things!)

Today would be my actual due date. Its hard to believe that I could still be pregnant today and be anxious about my baby's arrival. Its hard to believe on one hand that T is 9 days old but on another it feels like I've always had a baby. She is the light of my life!!!

3 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

it is just amazing - the feeling of how very comfortable this all feels!

Sounds like you are doing an EXCELLENT job.

As my parents are not at my house - they require me to be at theirs for baby snuggling -it does take it's toll. Sounds like you are doing fantastic.. Oh how I want to walk - it needs to stop raining

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I think I fell asleep at the wheel because I didn't check in for a few days....and look what I got to see when I came back! What a cutie!

RBandRC said...

Glad to hear you've gone to see a Lactation consultant--I've heard they can do wonders!

You are doing a fabulous job as a new mommy--Teagan is a very lucky little girl! :)

HUGS!