Sunday, July 6, 2008

A great weekend!

In the last 2 days Baby T has met 2 babies that are actually younger than she is! Keep in mind that today she is 17 days old. It makes me happy when we meet younger babies because sometimes I feel guilty about having her out and about. I am incredibly careful about germs but still- the stresses of the outside world could make her sick.

On Friday- the 4th- we went to a cookout. Everyone was so happy to see and meet Baby T. She was so good! I fed her at my friend's house too which I felt was a milestone in breastfeeding. It wasn't public per se but wasn't in my own home either so its a step in the right direction. Baby T was a hungry girl that day and fed like every 1.5 hours. Finally when she was rooting for the 3rd time in 4 hours we went home.

Saturday was a great day too! We took Baby T to a historic park/rescue zoo here in Richmond. She rode in the stroller and we (Grammy and Grandpa, FJ and I) looked at the animals. It was a pretty nice day- not too hot but we cut it short anyway because I was feeling guilty about having her out. Grandpa took us all for ice cream afterwards and we met an 11 day old baby. When I introduced myself to his momma- she looked at Baby T and exclaimed "she's huge!" This is the first time anyone has described T as anything but "teeny". This woman's baby and T weighed the same at birth and T is considerably bigger than this baby. She really is a good eater and has been putting on weight quickly.

Which brings me to today- Baby T has become much more alert during the day and at night. She doesn't cry (all the time) but lies awake looking around and cooing. Twice I woke up last night and could hear her moving around. When I peeked in her basket she was wide awake sucking her finger or looking around. So cute and peaceful! This morning however she cried and cried. It was like I couldn't feed her enough. My nipples are still really sensitive and every 10 feedings or so they down right hurt. So the LC recommended I use the nipple guard every once in a while. I get the feeling T doesn't feel satisfied with the guard though and she will eat every hour or so insatiably. I was feeling guilty that I was starving her to death until FJ got on the scale with her and low and behold- according to our scale- she is somewhere between 7.5 and 8 pounds. Keep in mind that one week ago she was 6.13. Now of course this could be off but I am less stressed about her starving. It might be the suckling that she is crying for and not the milk!

We were supposed to go to church this a.m. but we slept in. I want to go buy some new nursing bras today and perhaps go to the grocery store. FJ wants to take T down to the river with the dogs- we'll see!

2 comments:

AwkwardMoments said...

*i do not know your thoughts on pacifiers - but if it is hte suckling, the LC here told me to try a pacifier. It works pretty well for us - he usues one for a very small amount of time about every other day

I am glad that you are up and about. Congrats on breastfeeding in public! That is a huge milestone

RBandRC said...

Sounds like you had a great 4th! It sounds like T is doing great. Hang in there and just keep doing what you're doing! :) HUGS!