Tuesday, October 30, 2007

no progesterone at the pharmacy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (updated)

I truly don't want to be "that girl" who gets pregnant and all she writes about is being scared. But I am. I love being pregnant and am super excited but I just can't shake the "it'll happen" thoughts and I don't mean "it'll be fine". This a.m. I woke up and my boobs hurt less. They still hurt, but it seems that they aren't as sore. This freaks me out. Then I went to the pharmacy to pick up round 2 of progesterone suppositories and they did not have them in stock. The pharmacist was awesome and called around and around to all of the local pharmacies and it seems to be a total fluke that they had them in when I got round 1. So we called the dr and they said they'd call back. I waited at the pharmacy counter for an hour and a half and no call. The pharmacist finally called the emergency line (because by now the dr's office was closed) and they were going to return her call a.s.a.p. Yeah right- I waited a little while longer and no call. So here I am at home with no progesterone to take tonight. I am so afraid that this drop in progesterone level is going to be the detriment of this pregnancy. The pharmacist said regardless of what the dr says, she has ordered the progesterone and it will bein before noon tomorrow. I am tempted to take a half day at work and get to the pharmacy at noon and get that stuff in me before its too late. Any suggestions???
BTW- all of your answers to my obsessive questions made me feel 1000% better. I just wish this progesterone thing hadn't occurred...
My pharmacist just called. The dr on duty finally called back and prescribed oral capsule prometrium. After she researched it, she found that it is not to be taken by pregnant women and told me that I could puncture the capsule and insert it vaginally but I shouldn't take it orally because it could bring on a period (miscarriage!!!!!!!!!!). I am so pissed that the dr on call would even prescribe such a thing!!!!!! I have typed a letter to my OB because this is the millionth thing that has happened at his practice that has royally pissed me off. I am telling him basically that if one more thing goes wrong or if I am treated like shit by his staff once more, I am out. I also wrote a letter to the pharmacists supervisor telling him/ her what an awesome person she is to take the extra time to look into this for me. FJ is going to pick up the progesterone gel tomorrow during the day and bring it to my work- I will shoot up in the school bathroom and only be about 12 hours behind schedule. I hope this all works!!!!!!!!!!!

9 comments:

RBandRC said...

I hate getting the medication run-around. Usually it's between my pharmacy and my insurance company, but either way it just sucks. I think if leaving early tomorrow to go get the progesterone will make you feel better and put you at ease (or as much at ease as you can be right now) then DO IT! You've gotta do what you can to make yourself feel better.

I think you'll be ok though if you decided to wait.

Either way, lots of HUGS! I'll be thinking about you. :)

AwkwardMoments said...

I agree with R&R. I do not think 1 night w/o Progesterone will really be noticed. But you need to things for self -preservation. Saying prayers for you too!!

Amanda said...

I am sure everything will be fine for you! I hope the gel works its magic for you!

Stupid doctors office...grrr

C said...

Dang dr's! I actually heard at one time that it is possible for preg women to take prometrium. It's totally progesterone supp and for some who's not preg, it brings on a period (if there's no preg, there's no reason for the progesterone to rise, so af arrives), for someone who is it increases their level. Don't really know how much of that is true, but just wanted to let you know.

At any rate, I still think you should tell the dr your 2 cents. Good luck and I'm with the other ladies, you should be fine minus one night.

Anonymous said...

I think it is great to write letters to the doctor's office...hopefully it will actually do something, but in any event, it will make you feel better.

I am already freaking out about progesterone and I am not even pregnant (yet)! So I totally understand where you are coming from. You can buy OTC progesterone cream that may tied you over if you ever run out...good to have on hand! I have a big tub of it at home. They sell it at natural food stores, my acupuncturist recommended it.

Tracy said...

I'm sure it will be fine...sorry you have to go through this at all, though...

Nica said...

My senior doctor completely discounts, as he calls them, "symptoms." With my latest trauma, when I was trying to tell him about *my* fluctuating boob soreness (and other symptoms) he discounted it. "It could be that your body is adjusting t the pregnancy, he said."

This is what I came away with: If you cramp, and then bleed red, THAT'S BAD. If you only cramp, or (get this) "only bleed," or don't bleed red... they're less worried.

good luck with the progesterone.

Courtney said...

I hope you got the progesterone and that the pharmacy stocks up for you!

lady in waiting said...

This is like reading my own mind. I know what you mean about the progesterone - since I had an FET I never ovulated so 100% of my progesterone is from my shots! Nothing is natural. So that is even worse.

I'm sorry you had a scare with getting those stupid pills and they weren't prescribed with the right instructions. I think you should write a letter!

How is everything going since then? Give us an update.